Monday, September 21, 2009

Meet the Cooperstown PD and Hospital Staff

Today...well lets just say it was an interesting day.  I woke up with an infection and needed to go to the emergency room/clinic.  I hopped in my car and started driving and of course wound up calling Jay, I mean really a paramedic should know medical things.  The problem was that I was doing my freak out about needing to go to the hospital on my cell phone and drove past one of the two cop cars in Cooperstown, which of course resulted in me being pulled over.  


The cop got out of the car and we talked a bit, and I told him I was on my way to the hospital, and he said that as long as I have a clean record he would let me off with a verbal warning.  Being a pretty safe driver I was cleared and he made sure I knew how to get to the hospital.  I really appreciated his kindness and understanding because I was a bit scared and dealing with a ticket was the last thing I needed. It seems that small town cops are understanding, and I really have to say he was a nice guy.

Next I went to the Basset Hospital Clinic.  Except for the service being a little slow at the beginning because it was busy, my experience was definitely positive, probably the best hospital experience I can remember having.  Since I was a new patient and a walk-in the registration and making an appointment took an hour or so, but once I was finally sitting in the waiting room, they actually got me in 20 minutes early (surprising for a doctor).  The MA and Doctor were fantastic and easy to talk to, and had me diagnosed and prescribed with the proper meds quickly and efficiently.  The doctor even got me hooked up with a more permanent physician since I will be in Cooperstown for two years.  The hospitals system even made it so I only had to pay the co-pay for visiting a primary physician and not the ER or walk-in clinic fee.

Later while talking to my dad, he said that one of his bosses had surgery there and the doctors replaces took a nerve from the guys leg and transplanted it into his hand.  Furthermore the hospital is a teaching hospital associated with the Columbia-Presbyterian network, so seems to be staffed with highly educated and innovative staff members that cover almost every health area you can imagine.  Not to mention the hospital complex itself is huge.  

In other words, I am very satisfied and a fan of the emergency and medical services of Cooperstown and would give them five stars.   

2 comments:

  1. well thats good that they hooked you up for future visits... haha and five stars?! wow thats pretty good then as you have a wide basis for comparison... =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol...i know...i should become a hospital critic...like how the have restaurant critics

    ReplyDelete