Saturday, August 29, 2009

What is Museum Studies and Why am I Studying it?

According to the Smithsonian's Website Museum Studies "the field that encompasses the ideas and issues involved in the museum profession—from the practical, day-to-day skills needed to operate a museum to theories on the societal role of museums."

To me Museum Studies is a program of learning that focuses on preparing students to work in a professional museum environment. It is the study and understanding of museum education, material culture, exhibit development, and museum management. A museum studies program should train students to be able to take on different roles in museums, and still understand different departments that they will interact with. It should allow students who work in smaller museums, to do all the cross-departmental tasks that are required of them.

Why did I choose to study Museum Studies as a 22-year-old who not only got a degree in History, but also one in Accounting. Quite frankly, when I was in High School and bored a teacher of mine suggested that since I loved History I should volunteer at a Local Museum. The curator there was really nice, and since the museum was so small I had the chance to try out a bunch of different things, and the experience was a blast.

When I got to College, I took up Accounting with History, because it seemed like a practical back-up, but as graduation grew closer, I realized I owed it to myself to try to follow the dream and do what I learned I loved. So instead of accepting the Accounting job, as crazy as it sounds, I started Grad School. My theory is that we spend much of our waking lives at work, why not make it as enjoyable as possible. Besides, there are so many museums that do not have good business people in them, especially accountants. A museum is just like most other businesses, it need a well-trained and organized finance department.

Soon I discovered the specialty of exhibit development, which allowed me to combine both my interest history and accounting, while being allowed to be creative. I could use my history knowledge to creatively form an exhibit that would interest visitors, while using accounting skills to manage a tight budget.

Really to me Museum Studies is about following a dream and having the chance to combine and use all the skills that I have gained so far, while trying to entertain and educate a larger public. Museum Studies is also about the public, and finding a way to educate and interest them in history, science, art, or numerous other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment